Practice as a Pharmacist in the USA
Students who wish to work as a pharmacist in the USA either need to pursue PharmD in the USA or the international pharmacy graduates being registered in their home country can apply for the licensing exam. Both PharmD graduates and foreign qualified/registered pharmacists need to sit licensing examinations in the USA. To become a registered pharmacist in the USA, students need to clear the FPGEE (Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination), NAPLEX (North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination), and MPJE (Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination). Before that candidates need to follow certain steps.
- Must have completed PharmD/ Minimum continued 5-Year pharmacy curriculum (Not 6 years combining BPharm + M.Pharm according to Indian qualifications)
- TOEFL i-BT passing standard scores: L-21, R-22, W-24, S-26
- Acceptance Certificate from FPGEC via NABP
In order to apply for FPGEC certification, candidates need to create an account on NABP.
- Step-1: Create an NABP profile and submit all requested documents and complete the FPGEC Certification application.
- Step-2: Pay the fees via debit or credit card at the time of submitting an application. The FPGEC fee is $550 (non-refundable), which includes administrative and evaluation fees. Follow the below steps to complete FPGEC certification:
- Step-I: After payment, you need to fill out the FPGEC Attestation document that you can download from the NABP website and send by mail. You will need to submit your fresh two passport-size photographs attached with the attestation form. This FPGEC Attestation form should be posted.
- Step-II: Apply for ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators) document evaluation. Documents to be verified:
Submit all official transcripts of your schooling and bachelor’s degree signed and stamped by pharmacy college officials. Official proof of Degree.
- Step-C: You need to submit your pharmacist license or proof of ID as a supporting document for ECE evaluation. Your documentation should be signed by an authorized person.
- NOTE: Your name should be the same on each of your documents and the documents should be in English.
- Step-3: Registering for the FPGEE exam:
FPGEE examination is for evaluating foreign pharmacy graduates for granting FPGEC certification and to measure the knowledge of applicants in the following main areas:
- 35% – Clinical Sciences
- 33% – Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 22% – Social/Behavioral/Administrative Sciences
- 10% – Basic Components
FPGEE is conducted once a year and the examination comprises 400 questions and the test duration is 4.5 hours. You are eligible for FPGEE when your status for the FPGEC application is changed to accepted. Registration steps are as followed:
- Step-I: Login to your NABP profile and click on purchase for selecting the test date.
- Step-II: Follow the instructions and pay the FPGEE fee of $650. (Retaking exam fee is $750).
- Step-III: Receiving Authorisation to Test (ATT) via mail. ATT contains information and instructions related to scheduling your test. After receiving ATT, you will receive an FPGEE Identification Card (FIC). The FIC will be used as your primary ID for the FPGEE exam.
- Step-IV: Schedule your exam within the time frame mentioned in your ATT. You can schedule your test via phone. After scheduling, you will get a confirmation letter with information on your test center and other instructions.
- NOTE: On test day, arrive early, and do not forget to bring your FIC and other primary IDs such as passports.
- You will be given two breaks of 15 minutes after every 90 minutes during the period of 4.5 hours.
- FPGEE Scores: After 8 weeks of the exam, your scores will be available on your e-profile. The minimum passing score is 75 on a score scale of 0 to 150. On failing you can retake within 2 years of your acceptance period.
After completing the FPGEE exam you have to pass TOEFL-iBT and complete 1500 hours of internship, and then you become eligible to apply for NAPLEX and MPJE.
- Step-4: Applying for NAPLEX: NAPLEX (North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination) is an examination created by NABP. It is an online computer-based examination. You can apply for NAPLEX and MPJE through your NABP e-profile. You have to fill out an application form for both the exams and the application fee for both is $100. You need to apply for eligibility via submitting transcripts. Once you get eligibility, within 10 days of it you have to book an exam through your NABP e-profile. The examination fees are NAPLEX- $475 and MPJE: $150. You will get your result after 14 days of the test with a pass or fail status on your NABP profile. You must score not less than 75 to pass the NAPLEX test.
- Step-5: Apply for the licensure process in the state you wish to practice as a pharmacist.
3 thoughts on “Practice as a Pharmacist in the USA”
You made some decent points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most individuals will agree with your website.
Hello there! I just wish to offer you a huge thumbs up for your great info you have got here on this post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.
Very interesting details you have observed, regards for posting.